Re: Manual

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 11:35:25PM +0100, Max Gilead wrote:

> I have been thinking lately about a BeanShell manual. While Bsh is a
> great software, lack of good manual is very bad thing. I am using
> BeanShell for some time but its usage is limited to code similar to Java
> simply because I don't know how to best utilize scripting language. It's
> even not that I don't know how to do something but I suppose I simply
> don't know that many bsh features even exists and don't know how to use
> them.
>
> I don't know how much work it would take to write such a document, but
> obviously Pat is too busy to write one so maybe we should gather few
> people and help ourselves? :-) It's a way of free software, isn't it?

Yes, I apologize for the sad state of the user manual ;)

It's just that whenever I get time to work on BeanShell the code usually
takes priority.  I think that's a very bad practice though, as good
documentation is equally as important as having the functionality in many
cases.

One tip that I can give you is that if you are looking for info about new
features since the docs were updated please check out the "changes" log for
the past few versions.  All major changes and new features should at least
be mentioned in there (even if not documented).

I do plan a rewrite of the docs to cover all of the new features on my
next pass through all of this.  And I can certainly use any help that anyone
has to offer! ;)

The manual is actually physically layed out by a (somewhat elaborate and ugly)
set of scripts that I made to manage the web site.  But if someone is good at
writing this sort of stuff or just wants to take over making it prettier and
keeping it up to date (with much input and help from me) I could show you how
it works.

Alternatively, the best way you could help might be by sending me small chunks
as you have them.  e.g. just take anything that you think needs documentation
and dive it...  Feel free to send me questions and rough work and I will be
happy to clean it up and add it.

Thanks,
Pat