Re: BeanShell suggestions

On Fri, Nov 12, 1999 at 07:10:04PM -0500, Sean Luke wrote:

> That being said, there's a simple modification that I think would make all
> the difference to a large number of BeanShell/JDE users like myself.  I've
> noticed that something along the lines of 90% of the BeanShell usage I do
> is for one thing: evaluating expressions to see what they return.
> Amazingly, BeanShell doesn't provide this natively, so if I have
> expression Foo, which typically returns, say, an integer, I have to write
> it as:
>
> 	bsh % System.out.println(FOO);

Two important things -

First, there is something called the "show()" command that toggles on
automatic printing of results (except null).

Second, in bsh 1.0 I fixed the "expression on the command line" problem
so that you can simply type "2*2" instead of "(2*2)".

So I think everything you want is accomplished by upgrading to bsh 1.0
and turning on show();

It's likely that turning on show should be the default within the JDE...
This could be accomplished with a default start up script in some way.

Also new in 1.0 you can have a startup script (.rc file) in your home dir
or in the Java system home dir.

I'm sorry the documentation hasn't necessarily caught up with all of this yet.

Please see http://www.beanshell.org/changes.html for some more info about
the startup files.

Thanks,
Pat